Sunday, August 5, 2012

Learning from the past

So, I've built one of these cars before. Back in middle school as part of a shop class we build CO2 cars according to the TSA standards. I have to admit that I didn't spend the most time on it and I was surprised to find it in a box of stuff I recently picked up from my parents house. Note that the black sharpie marking on the car were added when I attempting to digitize the car using photographs. More on that in another post.
Lame Co2 Car From Middle School
According to TSA rules there is not minimum weight limit like in the BSA rules. So this car is much lighter than the minimum 5 ounces in the BSA rules. I inspected the crude workmanship of my old car and found several reasons why I didn't do very well in the races in middle school. 
  1. Axels were not parallel
  2. Guide eyelets (on the bottom of the car) were not well aligned causing the car to go down the track a little sideways. 
  3. The Co2 cardrige was not centered in the car. 
  4. Poor bearings
  5. Not the most aerodynamic shape
So I would keep these things in mind as I came up with the replacement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment